||Jun Bo Lau
For lecture-specific information, such as instructor and TA contact information, visit the Canvas page for your lecture.
We will be using the following online tools to help with the success of the course.
- Canvas: Learning management system
- Gradescope: For exam submission (access through Canvas)
- Edfinity: Online homework submission (access through Canvas)
- Zoom: For remote lectures, discussion sections, or office hours (access through Canvas; not used by every instructor or TA)
The required textbook for the course is OpenStax: Calculus, Volume 1, by Strang, Herman, et al. This book is freely available online. We will study Chapters 1-4 of the textbook in this course. A list of the topics scheduled to be covered can be found on the course calendar.
You can buy a physical copy of the textbook in the UC San Diego Bookstore or you can get a physical copy from Amazon for a reasonable price. However, the book was designed to be a free electronic book, and it can be accessed that way directly from OpenStax. Please be aware that you will also need access to the Edfinity online homework system, which you will access through Canvas. You can buy access directly from Edfinity (for one quarter) for $29.
In this course, there will be three midterm exams and a final exam. All exams are remote; however, the exams will be held synchronously. That means that you have to take them at the scheduled time. The dates of the midterm exams, as listed in the Schedule of Classes and the course calendar, together with the topics of each midterm exam are:
- Exam 1: 01 Feb 2023 (Thu) — Topics include 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3
- Exam 2: 22 Feb 2023 (Thu) — Topics include 2.4, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7
- Exam 3: 15 Mar 2023 (Thu) — Topics include 3.8, 3.9, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6
You will be given exactly 60 minutes to complete your exam in Gradescope (50 minutes for the exam and 10 minutes as a buffer against technology issues) and will be provided a two-hour window within which to do so. (The two-hour exam window will be 7:00-9:00 pm Pacific Time.) There will be no makeup exams nor will exams be offered at alternate times. However, we will drop the lowest exam score.
The Final Exam will be offered through Canvas Quizzes. The date of the exam, as listed in the Schedule of Classes and the course calendar is
- Final Exam: 03/18/2023 S 7:00p-9:59p
The final exam is synchronous and remote. You will be given two hours to complete the exam and will be provided a three-hour window within which to take the final exam. The exam will be available at the time listed in the Schedule of Classes. The final exam is cumulative and may include any topic from the course.