|Office hours: Th 2-4pm in HSS 5012|
Prerequisites: Math 140B or Math 142B, or consent of instructor.
Course description: Rigorous introduction to the theory of Fourier series and Fourier transforms. Topics include basic properties of Fourier series, mean square and pointwise convergence, Hilbert spaces, applications of Fourier series, the Fourier transform on the real line, inversion formula, Plancherel formula, Poisson summation formula, Heisenberg uncertainty principle, applications of the Fourier transform.
Textbook: Fourier Analysis by E.M. Stein and R. Shakarchi. We will cover most of chapters 1-5.
Homework: Homework will be assigned weekly.
Homework is due every Thursday by 11pm and should be submitted on Gradescope. No late homework will be accepted. If, for any reason, you
cannot turn in a homework assignment, keep in mind that the lowest score will be dropped.
Midterms: There will be two in-class midterms on October 20th and November 17th .
Final exam: The final exam is scheduled for Friday, December 9, 11:30-2:30 pm.
Exam policy (applies to all HW, midterms and final): Cheating will be taken very seriously and automatically reported to the Academic Integrity Office. The use of any electronic devices (cell-phone, smart watch, earbud, calculator, etc) is prohibited during exams and it will be considered cheating, thus it will be reported to the Academic Integrity Office.
Grading: Your final score will be calculated as follows
20% Homework + 20% Each Midterm (Total 40%) + 40% Final Exam
Regrades: Graded Homework and Exams will be available on Gradescope. You have a week from the date the score has been posted for any one item (a homework, a midterm, the final) to submit a regrade request on Gradescope for that particular item. Any late regrade requests may not be considered.
List of homework assignments: